Sunday, June 14, 2015

Day 73- A Nero Day Done Right

June 13, 2015
Stealth Campsite(967.3) to US 522 (969.4) 2.1 Miles


I've been trying really hard lately to have a low mileage nero day. I think I have finally succeeded. I was even able to sleep in this morning since Gary wasn't picking us up until 9:00. I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't immediately get back to sleep. I read my book for a little while and then slept for another hour. I had just gotten back up when, Airlock came past my campsite. We agreed to meet down at the road, US 522. I took my time packing up and hit the trail around 7:30. It was a nice easy hike with a little uphill climb in the middle. The last half mile was slightly downhill so I decided to jog for a little while. Before I knew it, I was at our extraction point, thirty minutes early too. We killed time by talking to some locals and a few thru-hikers. Gary was right on time and he even brought us ice cold sodas. We drove into Front Royal to pick up my food resupply box that I had dropped off earlier in the week. Gary and Airlock live a little over an hour away in Northern Virginia. We stopped off at Whole Foods to pick up beer and other necessary supplies for what promised to be an epic dinner. Once we arrived at Airlock's house, I quickly set about getting my chores done. I immediately showered, got my laundry together, and sorted through my food box. Town days go by so fast that the sooner all the tedious jobs are done, the sooner we can relax. After those chores were taken care of we sat down and had brunch, fresh bagels and lox with an iced latte. Life was good! The next order of business was a quick trip to the grocery store for a few resupply items. 

All of our chores were done by 2:00. We spent the rest of the afternoon on the front porch sipping beers and eating ice cream. Around 5:00 we moved to the back porch for chips, homemade guacamole, and margaritas. Kirsten, a friend of Airlock and Gary's, came over to join us for dinner. I really enjoyed meeting her, she is a very nice, funny woman. Dinner was a new experience for me, charbonnade, which is kind of a table top grill. We used it to make some very tasty fajitas. 
Charbonnade 

After dinner we had dessert. Kirsten made a delicious fruit tart dish that tasted amazing and was beautifully presented. It was a perfect nero day and the perfect way to celebrate the end of Shenandoah National Park. 

"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway." -Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm very interested in the whole charbonade thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very nice day. It's nice you got to spend time together away from trail. Thanks Gary for being shuttle driver!
    Ok, now back to business. You're getting close to half way point and won't that feel awesome.
    You can do your best and still get kicked in the butt by the mountains or weather. So what, you've proved to yourself what you're made of. LY mama Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Yoda is so right on - you've got this Yoda...back to the trail and "Just do it"!

    ReplyDelete