Friday, July 22, 2016

Hiking bucket list for summer 2016

Eventbritethe largest self-service ticketing platform in the world, challenged me to write up my favorite hikes for the summer of 2016. Since I am currently hiking the Pacific Crest Trail a lot of this list will consist of places that I have hiked while on the PCT.

Kings Canyon National Park: This is probably my favorite national park that I have ever hiked. The views were dramatic. I felt as if I were walking through a fairy tale. Most of the back country hiking was not for the faint of heart. I would classify it as a strenuous hike. I am sure there are easier hikes to be found for day hikers, but if you want to experience the backcountry fill up your pack and get out there.




Image result for kings canyon national park
Constant views such as this are to be had


Yosemite Valley: Yosemite Valley offers hiking for everyone. There are easy 1-2 hour hikes, such as Lower Yosemite Falls. For the more energetic hiker you can hike up to Upper Yosemite Falls, which would be a strenuous 4-8 hour hike. I would suggest hiking to Upper Yosemite Falls and then heading over to El Capitan. It doesn't matter where you go in the park, the views are incredible. For the more daring hiker, I would suggest checking out the cables at Half Dome. Permits can be tricking to get, but they are well worth the effort.
Image result for upper Yosemite Falls
Upper Yosemite Falls
               
Image result for lower yosemite falls
Lower Yosemite Falls

Image result for cables at half dome yosemite
Cables at Half Dome
                                                                                                               
Sonora Pass: This was one of the best ridge lines I have ever hiked. For eight nonstop miles I had incredible views of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. The wildflowers are just beginning to bloom and the elevation is just right for a pleasant summer time hike. There is easy access to the trail from the Sonora Pass Trailhead. Camping spots are also easy to find. If you live in the Central California area, do yourself a favor and check out this area. With Eventbrite group planning and event management section you can setup an event and have a great time with like minded individuals.
Image result for sonora pass
You can expect views like this for 8 miles.


Glacier National Park: No summer hiking list could be complete without Glacier National Park. Since the summer is halfway over with, Glacier is perfect. It's location makes it ideal for a late season hike. Expect cold nights and pleasant days. There is plenty of hiking for the whole family, easy day hikes, moderate overnight hikes, and strenuous multi night adventures. I guarantee you will see amazing wildlife. I saw big-horned sheep, mountain goats, marmots, and even a grizzly bear.
Image result for glacier national park
    Amazing things await you in Glacier National Park
 

Image result for glacier national park
Wildlife galore
Virginia's Triple Crown: I have to also pay homage to my 2015 Appalachian Trail thruhike. One of the highlights was McAffe Knob, Dragon's Tooth, and Tinker Cliffs. You can easily hike just one or all three, but I guarantee you some of the best views of Virginia.




Image result for dragon's tooth roanoke va
Dragons Tooth

Image result for mcafee knob
McAffe Knob
Image result for tinker cliffs virginia
Tinker Cliffs


 I wish I had more time to add to this list. There are a lot of great hikes out there. I encourage you to check out Maine and The White Mountains in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, I am limited by how much I have to get done while I'm in town versus the amount of time I actually have while in town.        

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list and for the pics. All who can actually should avail themselves of one of your suggested hikes. Enjoy your down/town time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooT, they love you they really love you :)
    COngrats on the Eventbrite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those hikes are on the list. And the list never seems to grow shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Dragon's Tooth look amazing. I've been a big camper forever, but just started getting into longer hikes. Great list.

    ReplyDelete