Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day 39- Zero Day at Cherokee's House

Fancy Gap, VA 0 miles

Wow, what a relaxing zero day. After a night filled with great food and wonderful company, I slept in a comfortable bed freshly showered and with clean clothes. I slept in until 6:30 and layed in bed until 7. Mrs. Cherokee cooked a tasty breakfast casserole and I had coffee and homemade tomato juice. We lounged around most of the morning and I took another shower. Then Airlock and I got down to business and planned out the next few weeks of our hike. By we, I mean to say, Airlock, planned everything out and I agreed to her plan. She is really good about thinking things through in detail. We made our shopping lists and then I soaked my damaged feet in an Epsom salt bath. It really seemed to help my feet and I'm looking forward to trying on new shoes tomorrow. 
Cherokee is going to hike with us for a few more days before he ends his section hike. After that he offered to pick us up on Friday and bring us back to his house to shower and do laundry. Because of this we were able to buy extra food to resupply for the next leg of our trip. It's a huge help and I really appreciate it. It will save us time and money for the next resupply, plus we are able to spend more time with him and Mrs.Cherokee. 
After our plans were made and showers were taken, Cherokee drove us around the neighborhood in his golf cart. It's a beautiful small town community on a golf course. I really enjoyed being able to relax and have the comforts of home instead of a hotel room. 
Later in the afternoon we went to Walmart to resupply. I bought way too much food and I'm not looking forward to the added weight in my pack, but at least Airlock and I will be eating well for the next 5 days. After that chore was done we went out to dinner for cheeseburgers and margaritas. We had forgotten that it was Mothers Day and the restaurants were packed. We got lucky though, and didn't have to wait for a table. Dinner was excellent and the company was even better. Then it was back to Cherokee's to repackage food and sort out what to leave behind for next week and what to take with us. Once again the day passed way to quickly and I'm left wondering where the time went. 
I'm really looking forward to this next section. We will be going across the Grayson Highlands. There will be wild ponies and excellent views. 
Famous Trail Sign in Damascus 

"Experience has taught me how important it is to just keep going, focusing on running fast and relaxed. Eventually pain passes and the flow returns. It's part of racing."
- Frank Shorter

1 comment: