Sunday, April 22, 2018

Day 8- The Long Road to Ruin

Sunday April 22, 2018
Trespassing on Private Property(128.9) to Silver City(161.7) 16.2 miles(I did an alternate so official cdt numbers don’t add up)

No elevation profile today

Yesterday I talked briefly about my plan to hike an alternate route. The alternate began shortly after the big climb up Burro mountain yesterday and lasted until I hit Silver City this morning. I decided to hike this particular alternate, also known as the old cdt, for several reasons. The biggest reason was the new cdt route isn’t completed yet. Eventually the trail will bypass Silver City altogether. Once it is complete it will be fantastic. There won’t be a ridiculously long road walk into town. The old cdt route ends with a 13 mile walk along Highway 90. The new cdt route includes about 13 miles along Highway 180. So either way you are walking on a hard asphalt road. The second reason I chose to hike the alternate was due to water sources. The new cdt wanders around in the mountains before dead-ending in the middle of nowhere with next to no water. I didn’t really feel it was necessary to add a 20 mile dry stretch into my hiking plans. 

I woke up this morning and quickly packed up my things. I was forced to camp next to the dirt road that I was hiking on. I didn’t realize that section of road was no long on US Forest Service property. It did please me to find out that I was camped within spitting distance of a silver mine. I was pretty hidden from view of anyone driving by, but I didn’t want to press my luck, so I skedaddled with all possibly haste. 

I chose to ignore the signs

I climbed that yesterday

For the most part today was super boring. I spent the morning trying to distract myself. At least I had cell service for most of the walk. I talked to my parents for a little while. The resort I work for is closed for 7 weeks between the end of winter season and the beginning of summer season. Since technically I am out of work through no fault of my own I’m still getting paid. It is called job attached unemployment. I have to request my payment every other week. My parents are helping me with this. After talking to them, I answered a few emails, downloaded some podcasts, worked on my blog, edited some pictures, and listened to an audiobook. The most entertaining part of my day was waving at every car that passed me. I gave each and everyone of them a super cheesy smile and an over energetic wave. I’m not sure why it entertained me so much. Perhaps because I could see I gave a few of them something to smile about. 

Highway 90


Highway 90, 3 miles farther down the road


Highway 90, 3 more miles down the road


Too early in the hike to eat a road banana. Maybe after a couple hundred more miles under my belt


Pretty good quote


Taking a break on the side of the road

As you can see today was absolutely riveting. Airlock’s mom thinks the CDT does not look appealing. With days like this I can’t help but to agree. However I know what is farther down the trail. 

San Juan National Forest, Colorado

I was ecstatic to make it into town at 11:30. Due to a large bike race being held in town called Tour of the Gila, I wasn’t too sure I was going to be able to find a hotel room. I decided to eat lunch and figure out my next move. The first place I came across was a brewery and distillery named, Little Toad Creek Brewery. The beer was cold and the food was delicious. I had a burger with pastrami, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, bacon, and cheddar. I’m not even embarrassed to say I destroyed it in less than 5 minutes. 

Yummy. Finally remembered to snap a picture before I started eating 

I was lucky and got a room in the hotel across the street. So far Silver City has been a pretty cool little town. People are friendly and very artsy. I have never seen so many art studios in one place. I had a woman and her dog approach me on the street before I could check in to my room. She asked if I needed help finding something. I must have had that look on my face. Then she recognized me from the Highway. She was one of the cars I waved at. Apparently, I made her day. She offered to give me a ride anywhere I needed to go. I thanked her, but at the time I didn’t think I needed to go anywhere. I love how random things like this happen on the trail. The rest of the day was spent hobbling around town doing my errands. I got my laundry done and got a little more food bought for the next leg. 

I’m hoping that it is nothing, but for most of the day my knee and ankle have really been hurting. By the time I left the grocery store my hobble had turned into a full blown limp. I’m pretty sure it is from an angry calf muscle. That road walk really ruined me. I plan on spending the rest of the evening in my hotel room stretching. If the force is with me I’ll head out tomorrow and hike slowly with a low mileage day. If not I guess I’ll have my first zero day. 

Best part of the hike; the driveway lined completely by toilets. There had to be over 75 porcelain thrones

"It's a long road, so we are just trying to stay focused and grounded and keep moving forward. I'll take it, though." - Sturgill Simpson










7 comments:

  1. Love the Highway 90 pictures; your quote fits that so well. Nice to read about your smiling and waving with the resulting contact with the woman in town. Here's hoping the angry calf muscle feels better today and you are back on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitting the trail again. My ankle and knee are sore, but I’m going to push through it. I’m taking it easy for the next few days

      Delete
  2. Yes indeed, a road walk. You probably surprised passing cars with your cheesy smile!! Glad you were able to find room. That was a huge sandwich that you devoured. Hope the stretching, and ice helped. Hope it’s not bad enough to take an unplanned zero. I forgot to tell you that I like your sunglasses. The quotes have been very fitting for each day. Anthony does good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MOM gets a mention and I don't? That ain't right! :D Also, that toilet driveway cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha mentioning Mama Airlock in the amazing journal, priceless!! When are y’all gonna tackle the PNT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as Airlock gets the time off. She really needs to reevaluate her priorities. Hiking is way more important than work lol

      Delete
  5. The quote on the school marquis was perfect for your day. Hope the calf or knee is better soon.

    ReplyDelete