Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 104- Bearded Woods One-Of-A-Kind Bunk And Dine

July 14, 2015
Schaghticoke Campsite(1463.9) to Caesar Brook Campsite(1480.8) 16.9 Miles


This post will be shorter than usual. I'm just too tired to write much tonight. 
I awoke to the sound of rain on my tarp this morning. We've had such nice weather lately I haven't used it the last two nights. I wasn't going to use it last night, but for some reason I changed my mind at the last minute. I'm glad I did. Luckily the rain didn't last long, so I was out of camp just a little bit late. 

The climb out of camp was short, but steep. I was rewarded with a nice view of the mountains. Because of the rain they were enshrouded in fog. It was a very nice scene. 
I love my early morning views

Unfortunately, the nice views didn't last long. The next several miles I climbed down slippery, wet, steep rocks. 
700 foot decent down rock steps

The traction on my shoes are subpar right now, so it took me forever. I get my new shoes tomorrow and I can't wait. 

The next part of the day was a six mile stretch next to a river. The trail was extremely flat and I made great time. I stopped to make a phone call to reserve a spot at a hostel for tomorrow. Unfortunately, they were all booked up. That really threw a wrench into my plans for the week. I sat down for a few minutes to come up with a new plan. Bearded Woods One-Of-A-Kind Bunk and Dine is a must stop on the AT and I didn't want to miss it. I called the owner back and found out that I could make it there tonight if I really hustled. I had six hours to make it 15 miles. A very tough goal, but I figured I could make it. 

Conneticut is full of these amazing cascading streams. Even though I was in a hurry, I kept stopping to take pictures. 
Cascading Stream
First difficult stream crossing. I came up one rock shirt to make it across. Ended up using a slippery log to bridge the gap

After the nice river walk the trail went up and down several mountains and I quickly tired out. I only had two hours left to hike 5.8 miles. I called Hudson back and asked about an alternate extraction point. He told me about an unused side trail off of the mountain. It sounded super sketchy and I imagined myself getting lost in the woods. I found it with out any problems and by 4:30 I was at our arranged meeting spot. 

Hudson and his wife, Big Lu are former thru-hikers that really know how to treat you. For $50 they do your laundry, give you liner clothing, cook you dinner and breakfast, and return you to the trail. Their house is amazing and Big Lu is an amazing cook. 
1 of 2 bunkrooms
Sitting room

I don't want to leave. The other seven hikers here are great and I hope we cross paths again. I met one of the first SOBO's of the season. L Dog, left from Katahdin 45 days ago and was a wealth of information on the trail going forward. So many cool things are coming up that I plan on slowing down to enjoy them. 

"Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace. He may bestow upon us conviction and confidence as we strive to achieve worthy goals." -David A. Bednar

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to the hostel! I don't know where you've found all these awesome quotes, but you hit a home run once again with today's! It must have taken months to collect them all! I've been trying to match my road maps with the trail to see possible meeting points. Your dad is going to send me better info! Looking forward to seeing you on the 24 or 25! Trek on Yoda:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it to hostel and it was as good as you heard. I do hope you start to slow down before you wear yourself out and enjoy what's around you.
    Love the quote, too.
    Hike on. LY

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great quote! Hope you are doing well, Yoda. I know it's been tough but I've been praying for ya! What a great hostel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great quote Dadx3! 😉. Are you on your 4th pair of shoes with your new pair, or did I miscount? You are a hiking fool, Yoda. Keep it up, and I hope the upcoming trail will bring you nice surprises.

    ReplyDelete